[swift-evolution] [swift-build-dev] [Review] SE-0019 Swift Testing (Package Manager)

David Owens II david at owensd.io
Fri Jan 8 11:13:32 CST 2016

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 6:08 AM, Drew Crawford <drew at sealedabstract.com> wrote:
>
> <all the good stuff>

I agree with pretty much all you’ve said. The caveat is have is this: don’t couple the the atomic steps together when incrementally building it up. When the steps aren’t coupled, it’s significantly easier to iteratively make changes to each of the components. It’s also much easier to review and develop additions because you’ve reduced the surface area for the integration points so there is less to consider, and consequently, it’s easier to validate breaking changes.

For example, before any meaningful work can be done to support different types of test runners, the work is going to need to done to break the build & run tests coupling. In this way, I think the proposal does a disservice because it’s not laying a good foundation to build on, it’s laying a foundation that we already know needs to be broken up.

There’s a difference between “get something done quick” and “get the most minimal viable product” (MVP) out the door. My objection to the proposal is that I don’t see it setting up the MVP.

-David