[swift-evolution] [Proposal draff] abstract classes and methods

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Jan 7 12:44:29 CST 2016

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:42 PM, David James via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Not sure the language direction should encourage inheritance based structures, which abstract classes and methods do. That’s not to say that inheritance is dead, but that a modern language should encourage and support compositional patterns rather than inheritance based patterns.

+1 to these comments.  This proposal notes that protocols would provide very similar behavior if they were allowed to have stored properties.  That has already been discussed a little bit.  I think it would be best to decide whether that will happen or not before introducing abstract classes and methods.

Matthew