[swift-evolution] ternary operator ?: suggestion

Paul Ossenbruggen possen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:36:05 CST 2016

Big +1 on that, I really like the confidence that people won’t easily stick side-effect code in the middle of the big inviting case: sections of the switch statement. That is a safety feature. This really supports a functional programming mindset which Swift is already popular for.

To this I add:
• Knowing that every case will return a result of the same type and returns a value.
• automatic type inference
• more concise code, and reduction of repeated code to assign the results.
• less likely people will use var when let is correct, currently the compiler will warn but this avoids any confusion from the start.
• fall through, break and continue are not a concern because you can only put expressions there.