[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] Replace `typealias` keyword with `associatedtype` for associated type declarations

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sun Jan 3 08:47:25 CST 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I like this proposal.  I think it adds clarity to the language.  Especially after the change from 'associated' to 'associatedtype'.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes.  It isn't a huge issue for me but has causes confusion for some.  A distinct keyword improving clarity is worth the change.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

> 	* If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I am familiar with several.  This proposal is different than anything I've see, but in a good way.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I read the proposal, followed the discussion, and thought about the tradeoffs.