[swift-evolution] Mailman?

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Tue Dec 15 18:41:39 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 01:47 PM, Tino Heth via swift-evolution wrote:
> Right now, the traffic is really hight, but I guess the situation will settle when the euphoria subsides… until then, does anyone have a good filter setup to recommend?

I use FastMail as my mail host, and they support the Sieve filtering language. I have a rather complicated script set up that handles all of my GitHub watch notifications, but for the Swift MLs it's really pretty trivial, just filtering on List-ID. You should be able to set up the equivalent at any mail host since everyone supports List-ID.

if header :contains "List-ID" "<swift-evolution.swift.org>" {
  fileinto "INBOX.Swift.swift-evolution";
  stop;
}
if header :contains "List-ID" "<swift-users.swift.org>" {
  fileinto "INBOX.Swift.swift-users";
  stop;
}
if header :contains "List-ID" "<swift-corelibs-dev.swift.org>" {
  fileinto "INBOX.Swift.swift-corelibs-dev";
  stop;
}
if header :contains "List-ID" "<swift-dev.swift.org>" {
  fileinto "INBOX.Swift.swift-dev";
  stop;
}
if header :contains "List-ID" "<swift-build-dev.swift.org>" {
  fileinto "INBOX.Swift.swift-build-dev";
  stop;
}
if header :contains "List-ID" "<swift-evolution-announce.swift.org>" {
  fileinto "INBOX.Swift.swift-evolution-announce";
  stop;
}

And since Mailman defaults to not sending duplicate emails, anyone who replies directly to me actually goes in my inbox (which means I can see the reply immediately). I always move such messages into the appropriate mailbox once read, and I tend to flag conversations that I'm interested in so I can see more easily when there's new messages.

-Kevin