[swift-evolution] Mailman?

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Tue Dec 15 14:25:20 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 10:52 AM, David Owens II via swift-evolution wrote:

> I agree that GitHub brings some nice features, but I think is also
> lacking in some as well.

GitHub isĀ *extremely* lacking when it comes to large-scale discussions.
The issue infrastructure it has is just barely sufficient to track
actual issues and PRs, and it simply does not work for massive
discussions. I say this as someone who's been involved in many such
massive discussions on the Rust project (Rust eventually set up a
Discourse to handle discussions).

For me, mailing lists are far and away the best solution. Sure, forums
and GitHub and whatnot can often send to email, but anyone participating
with email in those ecosystems are effectively second-class citizens.
And I've never been able to actually stay active with a forum (not even
the Rust Discourse forum), I'm not really sure why, I just end up not
keeping up and eventually stop visiting it. So I'm really glad that
Swift is using mailing lists. Email has really wide compatibility (I can
even keep up with discussions on my iPhone without any trouble), it's
fast, it's publicly indexed, and it pretty much Just Works.

-Kevin Ballard