[swift-evolution] Proposal: Re-instate mandatory self for accessing instance properties and functions

Stephen Celis stephen.celis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:12:28 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM, sune.foldager--- via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I see that this proposal is going to be reviewed as SE-0009, and I am a
> bit concerned that not all arguments are being considered because of the
> contents of the proposal text: The only counter argument mentioned in the
> proposal has to do with capturing semantics in closures. This is fine, but
> why isn’t the counter argument of verbosity being mentioned? This has been
> brought up on the list as well.

Good points. Ideally the official review period will have members bring up
these counterpoints again.

SE-0009 also misses another "alternative considered" on this list:
prohibiting "self" outside of capture semantics, however impractical it may
be. Should scheduled proposals, as written, be open to amendment before
review?

Stephen