[swift-evolution] Mailman?

Jacob Bandes-Storch jtbandes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 01:24:28 CST 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2015, at 2:08 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Another point that hasn't come up so far: inclusivity.
>
> Quoting the Code of Conduct section from https://swift.org/community/:
>
> A diverse and friendly community will have more great ideas, more unique
>> perspectives, and produce more great code. We will work diligently to make
>> the Swift community welcoming to everyone.
>

> I think making the discussion groups more easily accessible, and
> indexable/searchable, would do a great deal towards this goal. We should
> strive to include people who don't live in their email clients, and even
> people who want to contribute anonymously.
>
> (Clearly, there are enough people who *do* want to use email that it's
> important to make sure any proposed solution has good support for email
> notifications.)
>

> I don’t understand this argument.  Email is a pervasive standard, mailman
> provides an index, and gmane provides an even better one.  How would a web
> app be “more inclusive" than using something that has been standard for "a
> long time” and has tons of tools that work with it?
>
> -Chris

I'm speculating here, and hopefully not just putting my foot in my mouth.
I'm not aware of what actual research has been done regarding diversity &
online communities — if someone is, please chime in. If I'm totally wrong,
apologies.

There are a couple things I'd guess are beneficial:

- Easier signup; easier anonymity (authentication provided by a number of
common external services; no need for exposing an email address)
- Better support for moderation (you can't take back emails)

Jacob