[swift-evolution] Proposal to remove semicolons

João Nunes joao3001 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 14 17:12:56 CST 2015

For the one asking the pr link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/57

The semicolon in C style loops will soon be removed. So no point in defending it. Also it was out of the scope of this proposal.

In my opinion having an optional line termination just adds confusion for new comers. And adds near 0 value to the language .
Similar to the c style loop and the ++ and -- operators, it is just old carried over stuff.
My point is, swift is a modern language, semicolons aren't . The minimal advantage of it can be easily counter-argumented. It is a natural evolutionary step to remove the semicolon in the end of the lines.

Joao

Sent from my iPhone