[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals

Travis Tilley ttilley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:42:33 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:

> The worse that could happen is people sometimes (very rarely) need an
> `indent` function to explicitly set and indent level for their multiline
> string. Doesn't seem like the worst thing ever.

​I am with you 100% on that. ​Python has a variety of indentation helpers
and that's something i'd like to avoid. Detecting the indentation of the
first line and removing it from all lines, if consistent (excluding blank
lines), would be nice. Still... Even though I'm not proposing heredocs,
every language with them has two syntaxes for it specifically to make the
indentation issue unambiguous. Waiting for more feedback can't hurt.

​- Travis Tilley
​