[swift-evolution] Swift standard libraries should support simple 2d graphics and music on all platforms.

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Dec 7 18:00:57 CST 2015

> On Dec 7, 2015, at 10:56 AM, Amir Michail via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Why don't popular languages today come with an easy way to draw 2d graphics and play music by specifying notes in their standard libraries?
>
> I think this is something that Swift should have in its standard libraries on all platforms.

This is outside the scope of the standard library.  I expanded this section of the evolution page (https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution#out-of-scope) to clarify that:

Out of Scope
• Major new Library Functionality: The Swift Standard Library is focused on providing core "language" functionality as well as common datastructures. The "corelibs" projects are focused on providing existing Foundation functionality in a portable way. Major new libraries (e.g. a new Logging subsystem) are best developed as independent projects on GitHub (or elsewhere) and organized with the Swift Package Manager. Beyond Swift 3 we may consider standardizing popular packages or expanding the scope of the project. We will consider minor extensions to the existing feature set.

-Chris