[swift-evolution] C-style For Loops

Don Wills don.wills at portablesoftware.com
Sun Dec 6 10:03:23 CST 2015

I too hope that the proposal to remove C-style loops is rejected.  Yes, they aren't that necessary any more, but if we want Swift to compete with Java, C#, C++ and C, there is no reason to remove basic features like C-style loops just because they are politically incorrect.  If there was a functional reason, I might get on board with removing it, but there isn't.

I also hope that the decision to remove increment and decrement operators is reversed using the same logic.  Just because *you* don't like something that has been a feature of dozens of programming languages for 40 years doesn't mean removing that feature is a good idea.  One man's goto statement is another man's Leatherman multi-tool.  And FWIW, if C-style loops stay in the language, they become much more ugly without increment and decrement.

Don Wills