[swift-evolution] A mode with no type checking to compete with Python.

Manav Gabhawala manav1907 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 18:13:50 CST 2015

On December 5, 2015 at 7:09:51 PM, Amir Michail via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) wrote:

On Dec 5, 2015, at 7:05 PM, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

ml>
I disagree with the idea that a type system is too much of a hurdle for beginner programmers to overcome.

Don’t you think that Python currently provides a better introduction to programming due to its simplicity?
I disagree. The only reason people think Python is a simpler introduction language is because so far Swift has only been used to teach iOS and OS X programming never as a programming language in itself. And if you decide to introduce someone to programming and have them jump into iOS or OS X programming they have to learn a new way of thinking (programming) as well as all the underlying complexities of building an app like the view controller lifecycle, run loops, target action, MVC, etc. If swift were taught as a pure programming language I think it would serve as a far superior introduction to programming than Python, or any other programming language that currently exists for that matter.

Austin