[swift-evolution] Proposal: standard logging facility

Roshan thisisroshansmail at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:16:22 CST 2015

I have used Lumberjack[1] with Objective-C and I found it pretty good.
Maybe it's scope is too large for the standard library, but it could serve
as a good reference.

[1] - https://github.com/CocoaLumberjack/CocoaLumberjack

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Alexander Kolov via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Coming from a short discussion in swift-corelibs-dev, I’m investigating
> the need of a standard logging API as a part of core libraries.
>
> The motivation behind this would be having a unified and configurable set
> of APIs between all first-party modules and third party applications and
> libraries.
> I think this will help each of us since right now we’re inventing our own
> solutions as well many bigger third-party library providers have formats
> and facilities of their own.
>
> As I currently see it would be somewhat similar to python logging and
> possibly even structlog (http://www.structlog.org/en/stable/), with
> configurable formatters and handlers, including and not limited to remote
> loggers and syslog support.
>
> I’d love to hear your opinions and feedback on this and possibly start
> with some more formalized proposal and implementation if there’s enough
> support and need.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Warm regards