[swift-evolution] Change the name of the boolean operators?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Dec 3 16:34:37 CST 2015

> On Dec 3, 2015, at 2:19 PM, Sean Heber <sean at fifthace.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to propose that &&, ||, !, etc are replaced with keywords such as “and”, “or”, “not”, etc. As small as this may seem, it is one of my favorite things about Python that, IMO, can dramatically improve readability.

Hi Sean,

We’ve briefly considered this in the past.  However, this doesn’t align well with the design of swift, which partitions infix and prefix operators into their own namespace (composed of operator characters) and normal identifiers (composed of “identifier characters”).  You can see the grammar for this in the Swift Programming Language Reference.

-Chris