[swift-dev] SR-3423 Starter questions

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Mon Nov 13 19:11:21 CST 2017

> On Nov 13, 2017, at 9:52 AM, Mohammed Ennabah <ennabahm9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m not sure what I’m missing when I build "utils/build-scrip”, but I keep getting
> "can't find source directory for cmark (tried /Users/Mohammed/swift-source/cmark)”
>
> Just to know: I mkdir “swift-source” and then cloned the project in it, I tried to git pull origin master, but I’m still the same error. Not sure if this is related, but I did also "brew install cmake ninja".

Swift depends on the source code of several other projects, like LLVM (for general compiler tools) and CommonMark (for parsing documentation), so you need to pull several other repos into specific folders next to the Swift source code's folder to build it. This is automated by the "utils/update-checkout" script. Instructions for this are in the readme's "Getting Sources for Swift and Related Projects" section: <https://github.com/apple/swift#getting-sources-for-swift-and-related-projects>. Once you have, you should be able to use the various commands described in the "Building Swift" section below it.

Hope this helps,
--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies