[swift-dev] SR-3423 Starter questions

Mohammed Ennabah ennabahm9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:52:11 CST 2017

> On Nov 13, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon <brent at architechies.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 11, 2017, at 2:59 PM, Mohammed Ennabah via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> 	• I dug into the codebase as stated in the steps you mentioned, and tried to change one of the errors to see if it really change when I use Swift REPL, but nothing changed. Is it possible that I change something and directly affect the Swift compiler? (maybe I need to do a build first? Or maybe related to xcode-select?)
>
> If you just type "swift" at the command line, you'll run the version of Swift built into Xcode. You will need to build Swift first ("utils/build-script" is the easiest way, but not the fastest), and you will also need to run the version of the Swift interpreter you just built. You can do that with a command like:
>
> 	../build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/bin/swift
>
> (The path will be a little different if you use the "-x" flag to build-script, which generates an Xcode project, albeit one that's a pain to use.)

I’m not sure what I’m missing when I build "utils/build-scrip”, but I keep getting
"can't find source directory for cmark (tried /Users/Mohammed/swift-source/cmark)”

Just to know: I mkdir “swift-source” and then cloned the project in it, I tried to git pull origin master, but I’m still the same error. Not sure if this is related, but I did also "brew install cmake ninja".