[swift-dev] libdispatch switched to CMake

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Fri Sep 22 19:59:16 CDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:

> Hey, Saleem. I don't build libdispatch that often, but it seems to be
> broken for me. If I delete the libdispatch-specific build directory and
> then use build-script with --reconfigure, it doesn't actually attempt to
> reconfigure.
>
> [4/50] Performing build step for 'libdispatch'
> FAILED: cd /home/jrose/public/build/Ninja-RelWithDebInfoAssert/libdispatch-linux-x86_64
> && /usr/bin/cmake --build . && /usr/bin/cmake -E touch
> /home/jrose/public/build/Ninja-RelWithDebInfoAssert/
> swift-linux-x86_64/tools/SourceKit/libdispatch-prefix/
> src/libdispatch-stamp/libdispatch-build
>
> When I deleted my entire build directory and built from scratch,
> libdispatch built, but Foundation couldn't see it.
>
> Foundation/URLSession/http/HTTPURLProtocol.swift:325:19: error: use of
> undeclared type 'DispatchData'
>         case data(DispatchData)
>                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Any ideas what's going wrong?

So, definitely have an idea for the first case.  When building for Linux,
the libdispatch build is shared across the swift build and the libdispatch
build.  libdispatch is built as part of swift to be linked into SourceKit.
If you disable SourceKit, this dependency will be broken.  The Jenkins
builds had this exact issue (which we were able to identify between myself,
mgottesmann, JoeS. and mishal_shah).  With the switch to CMake, the
dependency should be tracked and you do not need to blow away libdispatch
inbetween the builds (which is the better option -- just treat the
incremental builds as incremental, no need to do any clean up).

As to the Foundation issue, Im not sure ... possibly that the swift module
is not built?  Ill try to take a look at that (though, honestly, that would
probably be tomorrow).  Sorry about the trouble there (it built for me and
on the build bots).

Thanks,