[swift-dev] Measuring MEAN Performance (was: Questions about Swift-CI)

Pavol Vaskovic pali at pali.sk
Mon Jun 12 19:51:49 CDT 2017

Hi Andrew,

I wrote the draft of this e-mail few weeks ago, and the following sentence
is not true:

> Its emitted when the new MIN falls inside the (MIN..MAX) range of the OLD
> baseline. It is not checked the other way around.

See below...

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:45 AM, Pavol Vaskovic <pali at pali.sk> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:55 PM, Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> To partially address this issue (I'm guessing) the last SPEEDUP column
>> sometimes features mysterious question mark in brackets. Its emitted when
>> the new MIN falls inside the (MIN..MAX) range of the OLD baseline. It is
>> not checked the other way around.
>>

>> That bug must have been introduced during one of the rewrites. Is that in
>> the driver or compare script? Why not fix that bug?
>>

> That is in the compare script. It looks like the else branch got lost during
> a rewrite
> <https://github.com/apple/swift/commit/cb23837bb932f21b61d2a79c936d88c167fd91d0#diff-5ca4ab28608a4259eff23c72eed7ae8d> (search
> for "(?)" in that diff). I could certainly fix that too, but I'm not sure
> that would be enough to fix all our problems.

 I even wrote tests for this
<https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/686c7619922d0de2bfdb3a0ec988b2c3c6bb60b5/benchmark/scripts/test_compare_perf_tests.py#L162>,
and my implementation is pretty clear too
<https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/e7b243cad7e27af63e6c25cd426fdc5359c4e51d/benchmark/scripts/compare_perf_tests.py#L135>…
somehow I forgot this.

# Add ' (?)' to the speedup column as indication of dubious changes:

> # result's MIN falls inside the (MIN, MAX) interval of result they are
>
> # being compared with.
>
> self.is_dubious = (
>
>     ' (?)' if ((old.min < new.min and new.min < old.max) or
>
>                (new.min < old.min and old.min < new.max))
>
>     else '')

I'm sorry for the confusion.

--Pavol