[swift-dev] Questions related to Chris's IBM talk

Nabeel Imtiaz nimtiazm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 15:25:43 CST 2016

Hi,

I went through the speaker deck of Chris's talk @ IBM (would be great if video was also available). What got me really excited, among all other things, was the the manual memory management part. Particularly because it opens up a lot of avenues for Swift where practically only C++ is used so far.

My questions are:

1) Is it already being developed/drafted? Any documents available? Where can I get more details on this work in Swift.
2) If it is (or isn’t) being developed right now, how soon will it begin and when will it be targeted for release?
3) Rust has full support for this kind of memory management and also provides various compile-time analyzers/detectors for memory leaks. Is Swift planning the same level of support through runtime and compiler?

Thanks and kudos to the entire team for evolving such an elegant language.

Nabeel