[swift-dev] [RFC] Modify the build system to enable/disable ObjC interop for any platform

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Tue Nov 29 14:36:45 CST 2016

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 12:24 PM, Brian Gesiak <modocache at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks all! It's great to hear that this wouldn't be completely unwelcome -- especially Swift Darwin with Objective-C interop disabled.

To be clear, I didn't mean to discourage you (or anyone else watching) from adding support for non-Apple Objective-C platforms; I only wanted to make it clear that it almost definitely won't Just Work by trying to compile the existing code for a non-Apple target. Like John said, we should leverage higher-level interfaces in Clang's CodeGen to emit ObjC metadata; right now, we hardcode the Apple layouts of everything.

-Joe