[swift-dev] copy-on-write proposal

Alexis abeingessner at apple.com
Wed Oct 12 13:19:59 CDT 2016

I’m having trouble figuring something out: is all of this contingent on all of the relevant operations being completely inlined into a single function at the SIL level? Could failing to inline a standard library function lead to performance cliffs? I understand this is generally true of inlining and dead-code elimination; but I’m wondering how this affects the abstractions we expose. Can we know that some things will “always” work, even if parts aren’t inlined?