[swift-dev] [discussion notes] SIL address types and borrowing

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Tue Oct 11 16:14:59 CDT 2016

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 11:49 AM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:

>>> This is the part I think I'm missing. It's not clear to me why this is the case, though. You could have had an Array return value that has never been stored in memory, so never needed to be copied. If you have an @inout memory location, and we enforce the single-owner property on inouts so that they act like a Rust-style mutable borrow, then you should also be able to take the value out of the memory location as long as you move a value back in before the scope of the inout expires.
>>
>> I'm not sure what your goal is here vs. relying on borrowing.  Both still require actual analysis to prove uniqueness at any given point, as you note with your "until copied at least" comment.
>>
>> Also, from a higher level, I'm not sure why we care whether a value that was semantically an r-value was a unique reference.  CoW types are immutable even if the reference is shared, and that should structurally straightforward to take advantage of under any ownership representation.
>
> My high-level goal was to get to a point where we could support in-place optimizations on unique buffers that belong to values that are semantically rvalues at the language level. It seems to me that we ought to be able to make 'stringA + B + C + D' as efficient as '{ var tmp = stringA; tmp += B; tmp += C; tmp += D; tmp }()' by enabling uniqueness checks and in-place mutation of the unique-by-construction results of +-ing strings. If you think that works under the borrow/inout-in-memory model, then no problem; I'm also trying to understand the design space a bit more.

Ah right, that optimization.  The problem here with using borrows is that you really want static enforcement that both (1) you've really got ownership of a unique reference (so e.g. you aren't just forwarding a borrowed value down)  and (2) you're not accidentally copying the reference and so ruining the uniqueness check.  Those are hard guarantees to get with an implicitly-copyable type.

I wonder if it would make more sense to make copy-on-write buffer references a move-only type, so that as long as you were just working with the raw reference (as opposed to the CoW aggregate, which would remain copyable) it wouldn't get implicitly copied anymore.  You could have mutable and immutable buffer reference types, both move-only, and there could be a consuming checkUnique operation on the immutable one that, I dunno, returned an Either of the mutable and immutable versions.

For CoW aggregates, you'd need some @copied attribute on the field to make sure that the CoW attribute was still copyable.  Within the implementation of the type, though, you would be projecting out the reference immediately, and thereafter you'd be certain that you were borrowing / moving it around as appropriate.

I dunno.  It's an idea.

John.