[swift-dev] [discussion notes] SIL address types and borrowing

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Sat Oct 8 12:56:57 CDT 2016

> On Oct 8, 2016, at 10:09 AM, Karl <razielim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Could you add this (and John’s previous writeup) to the docs in the repo?

Yeah, it’s unfortunate that design discussions are buried in a flood of email. On the flip side, I’ve checked in some premature design docs that are probably nonsense now. I’m currently preparing a type safe memory model design doc to checkin. After that I’ll probably work on a document for SIL SSA with address-only types, which should cover John’s writeup. I’ll have to work with Michael Gottesman and John McCall to get a SIL ownership docs checked in.

> I was reasonably along the way to adding unowned optionals a while back but got totally lost in SILGen.
> This info looks really valuable, but personally I find that with the mailing list format it’s hard to ever find this kind of stuff when I need it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Karl
>
> P.S. going to pick up that unowned optional stuff soon, once I have time to read the docs about SILGen

There are SILGen docs somewhere?

-Andy