[swift-dev] More Swift 3 Raspberry Pi 2 build problems

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:42:27 CDT 2016

On 9/20/16, William Dillon <william at housedillon.com> wrote:

>> On Sep 20, 2016, at 1:01 PM, Eric Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/20/16, william <william at housedillon.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Can you check whether what you're building on has this commit?
>>> https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/commit/0268214b5477ca338b502c90aaa3e9ba50b68e18
>>> <https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/commit/0268214b5477ca338b502c90aaa3e9ba50b68e18>
>>>
>>> There was a truncation of a bit pattern that was causing a trap on arm.
>>>
>>> It looks like you're using qemu, so it's possible that it's handling the
>>> trap strangely.
>>>
>>> Also, for arm-specific build issues and the like, the swift-arm slack
>>> channel may be helpful http://dev.iachieved.it:9909
>>> <http://dev.iachieved.it:9909/>
>>>
>>> - Will
>>>

>> - Yes, that commit is in my tree.
>> - I used qemu to build Swift itself, however, I'm using Swift to
>> compile on a real Pi (which is where that assertion is hit).
>> - I don't think I'm using Swift package manager. That is a direct
>> invocation using swift -frontend -c
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric
>
> Interesting...  It's this part of your logs that got me thinking about
> that:
>
> --- bootstrap: note: building stage1:
> /home/pi/Source/SWIFT/build/buildbot_linux/llbuild-linux-armv7/bin/swift-build-tool
> -f
> /home/pi/Source/SWIFT/build/buildbot_linux/swiftpm-linux-armv7/.bootstrap/build.swift-build
> qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - core dumped
> --- bootstrap: error: build failed with exit status -11
> ./utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero
> exit status 1, aborting
> ./utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero
> exit status 1, aborting
> ==================
>
> I thought that swift-build-tool is what is responsible for `swift build`
>
> - Will

Sorry for the confusion.
To clarify, the bug SR-2706 was on a real Pi, invoking swift -frontend
-c directly.
The other build failures were part of the normal building Swift from
source, which was on QEMU, which may use Swift package manager. The
source tree does include the commit you asked about.

Thanks,
Eric