[swift-dev] Delaying the enforcement of ".self" out of Swift 3?

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 01:22:52 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-dev
<swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> As just a user of the language, as much as I hate churn I personally wouldn't mind seeing this fixed. In this case, I think the laxness can make it harder for developers to form the right mental model of the language; I know I have personally stumbled over this in the past.

Fully agreed.  I would prefer this issue to be fixed.  When I read
code affected by it, I'm always thinking "does this code really
compile?  is this test accidentally disabled?"

Also, fixing this bug would make ".self" appear in more places, which
can affect the decision on the proposal to remove ".self".  If people
don't see ".self" everywhere where it would eventually appear if the
proposal is rejected, their opinion on the proposal might be biased by
the code they saw in the wild.

Dmitri