[swift-dev] Developing Swift in Xcode

Ryan Lovelett swift-dev at ryan.lovelett.me
Mon Mar 14 16:05:00 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016, at 04:54 PM, Ben Langmuir via swift-dev wrote:

> > On Mar 14, 2016, at 1:51 PM, Kenny Leung via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ben.
> >
> > Argghh!
> >
> > Question: why generate Xcode project files that don’t build?
>
> Historically the project generated by -X had many fewer schemes and was
> much faster to open in the editor if you didn’t actually need to build
> (because you were building with ninja for example).  I don’t know if
> that’s still relevant or not.

For me the confusion comes from the phrasing of the text in the
"Developing Swift in Xcode" [1] part of the README. It says:

> you can set up an IDE-only Xcode environment using the build-script's -X flag

Perhaps rather than IDE it should say text-editor or something to that
effect. Whenever I hear or read IDE I kind of expect an integrated text
and compiler integration. Though maybe that's just me.

[1] https://github.com/apple/swift#developing-swift-in-xcode