[swift-dev] Developing Swift in Xcode

Ryan Lovelett swift-dev at ryan.lovelett.me
Mon Mar 14 13:29:37 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016, at 02:07 PM, Kenny Leung via swift-dev wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> With your indulgence, I’m looking for some newbie help here. I’ve gone
> through the steps in the Swift project README, and generated an Xcode
> project.
>
> Are there any pointers to where to go next in the modify-compile-test
> cycle? There are a zillion targets in the project, and none of them seem
> to build.

This is my experience too. Just to add some more data points I did this:

$ utils/update-checkout
$ utils/build-script -t
$ utils/build-script -X --skip-build -- --reconfigure
$ cd ~/Source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64
$ open Swift.xcodeproj

Using the "ALL_BUILD" target in Xcode I attempted to build and was
greeted with the following error:

echo This\ Xcode\ project\ is\ configured\ for\ IDE\ use\ only\ and\
cannot\ build\ Swift.
This Xcode project is configured for IDE use only and cannot build
Swift.
false
make: ***
[/Users/ryan/Source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/xcode_generate_for_ide_only_dummy.txt]
Error 1
Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 2

Most of my steps were taken from
https://github.com/apple/swift#developing-swift-in-xcode and then I just
filled in the blanks with my own imagination from there.

> What is your typical process when adding a new feature to Swift?

I am also interested in this.