[swift-dev] Support only ninja built from source

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:51:54 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 2:21 AM, Wojciech Czekalski via swift-dev
<swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> This is a humble proposal (or rather thought) to drop support for ninja which does not come from source.
>
> This is motivated by two things:
> 1. I just wasted an hour figuring out what’s wrong, and applying workarounds
> 2. I *think* (please correct me if I’m wrong), there are no disadvantages of removing it, it will just simplify implementation of scripts.

Hi Wojciech,

I'm afraid there are significant disadvantages, I can think of two:

1.  Some developers use llbuild as a ninja replacement to test llbuild.

2.  It is very inconvenient to invoke ninja from the build directory, e.g.:

build/swift-macosx-x86_64$ ../ninja-build/ninja check-swift

Dmitri