[swift-dev] Making SwiftShims.swiftmodule

Darren Mo darren.mo at me.com
Wed Jan 13 20:42:15 CST 2016

I am trying to use the prebuilt Ubuntu 14.04 binaries on Ubuntu 12.04. I have run into two problems so far.

1. Swift needs libicu52. Only libicu48 is available for 12.04. Easy enough… just compile libicu52 and stick the libraries in /usr/local/lib. OK.
2. When I try to compile or use the REPL, I get “<unknown>:0: error: opening import file for module 'SwiftShims': No such file or directory”.

For #2, I gave up trying to find the bug in the source code; right now I am in hack mode. I want to build SwiftShims.swiftmodule myself and stick it in usr/lib/swift/linux/x86_64, which is one of the places the Swift compiler tries to check. Any ideas how to make SwiftShims.swiftmodule?

Darren