[swift-dev] Swift vim support

Keith Smiley keithbsmiley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:09:08 CST 2015

Hey all,

When swift was open sourced a few of us noticed that there was some existing
vim highlighting support[0]. While it sounds like what's there now hasn't been
kept up to date for a while[1], that brought up the question if there could
ever be a dedicated repository for vim support under the apple github
organization.

Many vim plugin managers expect a specific folder structure[2] in order to
work correctly. So the current nesting of the vim support in the main repo
isn't ideal. I think it would be hugely beneficial to the members of the
community who would prefer to use vim over any other editor, for there to be a
first party repo similar to rust's[3].

I'm not particularly suggesting that this plugin would be supported by the
swift core team. As there are at least a few community swift vim plugins
now[4][5] I would hope that as a community we would be willing and able to
support this plguin. Personally I would love to be part of a unified effort
towards better vim support for Swift!

Thoughts? Thanks!

[0]: https://github.com/apple/swift/tree/master/utils/vim
[1]: https://twitter.com/jckarter/status/672493376856391681