[swift-dev] Beginner's questions about building Swift from source etc.

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:31:11 CST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-dev <
swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:

> Looks like Mish Awadah has an answer on a later thread:
>
>    ./swift/utils/build-script --preset="buildbot_osx_package"
> install_destdir="${SWIFT_INSTALL_DIR}"
> installable_package="${SWIFT_INSTALLABLE_PACKAGE}"
> install_toolchain_dir="${SWIFT_TOOLCHAIN_DIR}"
> install_symroot="${SWIFT_INSTALL_SYMROOT}"
> symbols_package="${SYMBOLS_PACKAGE}"
> darwin_toolchain_bundle_identifier="${BUNDLE_IDENTIFIER}"
> darwin_toolchain_display_name="${DISPLAY_NAME}"
> darwin_toolchain_xctoolchain_name="${TOOLCHAIN_NAME}"
> darwin_toolchain_version="${TOOLCHAIN_VERSION}"
> }
>
> Thanks, Jordan!

Just wanted to emphasize that the package presets is the only way you
should be building Swift for any production use (either on Linux or OS X).

If you are trying to port Swift to some platform where existing presets
don't work, feel free to ask us on swift.org mailing lists.  If you want to
make a preset for production use from scratch, I strongly recommend reading
existing packaging presets and understanding what each flag does (not just
the description).

What happened in your build is that the standard library was built with
assertions.  This is the right thing for development, but wrong for
production.  Since production build process will be complex no matter what,
we decided to optimize build-script interface for local development.

Dmitri