[swift-corelibs-dev] Building Foundation with SwiftPM

Robert F Dickerson rfdickerson at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 30 18:49:53 CST 2017

This has probably been discussed in the past, but wanted to revisit the
idea of using native Swift tools to build Foundation. I brought this up in
the Slack group, and it seemed to be warmly received- although probably
still not simple because of some cyclical dependency issues in the build
process.

But, I think that there would be a lot of value in being able to build
Foundation (and CoreFoundation) only using SwiftPM, in other words, simply
with `swift build`.

Now that SwiftPM is improving its ability to pass in compilation flags more
easily and C module compilation. I think that the project could be
restructured to make this work. What would be the obstacles for getting
this working?