[swift-corelibs-dev] Opinions wanted: Special Handling of /proc FileSystem on Linux?

Philippe Hausler phausler at apple.com
Thu Jan 12 14:26:52 CST 2017

IMHO it seems reasonable for Foundation to return the contents of procfs items when constructing Data. That being said - I would probably favor a more structured parsing for actually using that resultant Data than just a blob. Those structured elements are probably not very portable so perhaps they belong in something above Foundation.

I don’t know of any linux variants off hand that don’t have /proc, but it might be interesting to somehow detect if that is truly a procfs element. I think it would perhaps be a failure if just the path /proc is special cased; Android, Solaris and Plan9 also share this same concept iirc (there are likely others).