[swift-corelibs-dev] Changing the name of XCTest* to Test*

Mark Glossop lists at cueballcentral.com
Sun Feb 28 01:34:15 CST 2016

On 28 Feb 2016, at 13:45, Chris Lattner via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev at swift.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 27, 2016, at 6:40 AM, Brian Gesiak via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I haven't been following the evolution process very closely: will prefixes be dropped from the SDK overlays? In other words: will Apple XCTest's "XCTestCase", when used from Swift, be named "TestCase”?
>
> The answer is “no”.  We are still planning to drop the “NS” prefix (specifically, not other prefixes) off of some imported values, but the exact details are TBD. Of course corelibs-foundation and the darwin-foundation will be kept in sync.  If a type drops “NS”, we’ll drop it in both places.
>
> -Chris

I don't have any insight into the core team's thinking on this, but dropping "XC" wouldn't make sense to me, given that XCUnit is just one of many "xUnit"-style unit testing frameworks. The "XC" prefix here is part of a disambiguating namespace for the different xUnit testing frameworks:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUnit
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unit_testing_frameworks#Swift

Even way down the track, dropping the prefix makes no sense to me. (Moving to a completely new testing framework with a completely different name - that's not impossible, but also an entirely different kettle of fish, and not one that I think anyone need concern themselves with.)

Cheers,
M.
--
Mark Glossop