[swift-corelibs-dev] testing guidance

Jean-Pierre Simard jp at jpsim.com
Mon Feb 8 18:48:24 CST 2016

I think this question is better suited for the swift-users mailing list,
but I'll answer here since that's where you posted this.

The solution I've found is full of caveats, but it does run tests with
swift-corelibs-xctest on Darwin.

The trick is to build your unit tests as an executable target with your
main module as a dependency, and to add swift-corelibs-xctest as a
dependency:

import PackageDescription

let package = Package(
  name: "MyPackage",
  targets: [
    Target(name: "MyPackage"),
    Target(name: "MyPacakgeTests",
      dependencies: [.Target(name: "MyPackage")]),
  ],
  dependencies: [
    .Package(url: "https://github.com/norio-nomura/swift-corelibs-xctest",
majorVersion: 0),
  ]
)

Note that the XCTest git URL used here isn't the official one, since it
doesn't yet have an SPM-compatible version tag. So you can fork it and add
a tag like Norio did (0.1.0-test). Then you can run your tests by running swift
build followed by .build/Debug/MyPackageTests.

However, please note that by doing this, you're introducing a target with a
local dependency, which means that others won't be able to use your package
as a dependency due to SR-688 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-688>.

I'm testing my projects on Darwin in both Xcode and SPM, using Darwin
XCTest in Xcode, and swift-corelibs-xctest in SPM.

You can see the approach we take (including testing on Travis) in
SourceKitten <https://github.com/jpsim/SourceKitten> and SwiftLint
<https://github.com/realm/SwiftLint>. The relevant files are Package.swift,
Makefile and .travis.yml.

I'm hoping that others can share nicer solutions to this as well, but in
the meantime, hopefully this gets you unstuck.
JP