[swift-corelibs-dev] NSURLSession & CFNetwork

David P Grove groved at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 13 12:39:33 CST 2016

> From: Robert Stephen Thompson via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-
> corelibs-dev at swift.org>
>
> I might be wrong (I obviously don’t work for Apple or anything), but
> when I looked at it, the main stumbling block at this point is the
> lack of libdispatch. I mean, all the basic network stuff could be
> implemented with posix APIs no problem, but basically all of what
> makes NSURLSession et al actually cool comes from GCD. Which does
> make me wonder what the status of libdispatch is now… I did try
> building it on Linux and it appears to now build “out of the box”
> (after installing some additional dependencies), but tests hang.

Hi,

	I'm hoping you are seeing as a hang is just an unfortunate current
ordering of test cases.  For me, the tests run and 29 of 32 pass.  It is
currently running dispatch_select as the first test, which is perhaps a bad
choice.  The sub test "kevent read 1" of dispatch_select takes about 90
seconds with no output for me, so the test may appear to be hanging.  Be
patient ;)

> How
> will we go about integrating it with the corelibs-foundation project
> once it’s ready to try doing that?

This is a great question (but for someone who knows more about
corelibs-foundation than me....).  I think libdispatch on Linux is getting
close to being ready for this next step.

--dave