[swift-corelibs-dev] bridging (SR-138)

Drew Crawford drew at sealedabstract.com
Sat Jan 2 02:24:43 CST 2016

I've noticed that e.g. String is not bridged to NSString.  The expected workaround seems to be calling .bridge() everywhere.

1.  Is there a plan for bridging e.g. String with NSString?
2.  Would it be appropriate to PR in the meantime e.g.

extension String {
        public func cStringUsingEncoding(encoding: UInt) -> UnsafePointer<Int8> {
            return self.bridge().cStringUsingEncoding(encoding)

  3.  The README also says

> We will also drop the 'NS' prefix from all Foundation classes

...is that the resolution?  e.g what is currently class NSString will become instead extension String?  Is there a bug open for that?