[swift-users] بخصوص: Swift 4.0 bug in concurrent array access

Greg Parker gparker at apple.com
Mon Jan 8 16:59:29 CST 2018

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 8, 2018, at 11:47, ⁨‫Fadi Botros‬ ‫⁩ <⁨botros_fadi at yahoo.com <mailto:botros_fadi at yahoo.com>⁩> wrote:
>>
>> 1st: How to invoke the thread sanitizer?
>
> Check out this article on developer.apple.com <http://developer.apple.com/>: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/code_diagnostics/thread_sanitizer/enabling_the_thread_sanitizer <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/code_diagnostics/thread_sanitizer/enabling_the_thread_sanitizer>
>> 2nd: I think making something like ConcurrentModificationException of Java should be a little better experience (if it will not make, or make a small performance penalty, also if it makes performance penalty, it would be activated only when you make a debug version or non-optimized version)
>
> I don't exactly disagree, but my understanding is that the work to do such a thing is nearly equivalent to having thread sanitizer on all the time. But maybe there's a simpler model that we could still turn on in debug builds. Can you file a bug report requesting this now that bugs.swift.org <http://bugs.swift.org/> is back up?

Something like ConcurrentModificationException ought to be cheaper than the thread sanitizer. The thread sanitizer works hard to detect every concurrency error. ConcurrentModificationException typically does something simple and cheap that catches errors sometimes but makes no attempt to be exhaustive.

Objective-C's fast enumeration protocol includes a mechanism like this. The collection can have a simple mutation counter, and the enumerator captures the counter's value at the start and checks that the value is unchanged as the enumeration proceeds.

--
Greg Parker     gparker at apple.com <mailto:gparker at apple.com>     Runtime Wrangler