[swift-users] Compiler fLag to activate SE-0143 (conditional conformance)?

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Thu Dec 14 15:08:37 CST 2017

> On Dec 14, 2017, at 10:56 AM, torquato via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>

> SE-0143 has been accepted, but is not activated by default in the last builds. As per Snapshot 2017-12-06 I get the Error message: "Conditional conformance of 'Array<Element>' to 'Foo' depends on an experimental feature (SE-0143)".
> Somewhere on the dev list archives I've read about a compiler flag that activates this feature. I can't find it anymore. Bad Google-Fu.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.)
> What is this compiler flag?

-enable-experimental-conditional-conformances

> 2.)
> Shouldn't this (flag) be mentioned in the proposal? Or the Generics Manifesto? Somewhere? At least for the meantime…?

I think until the flag is gone the proposal does not count as “implemented”.

> 3.)
> What is the _real_ status of this proposal? Is it really accepted and going into a next release or is this just a tryout that can be dropped any time?

It’s almost all implemented, except for dynamic casts to protocols that are conditionally conformed to. This part didn’t get finished before the 4.1 branch date so we put in the flag.

Slava