[swift-users] Data races with copy-on-write

Romain Jacquinot rjacquinot at me.com
Tue Dec 5 14:23:41 CST 2017

Hi Jens,

In the SynchronizedArray class, I use a lock to perform mutating operations on the array. However, my questions concern the case where an array is exposed as a public property of a thread-safe class, like this:

public class MyClass {

	private var _myArray: Array<Int> = []
	private var _lock = NSLock()

	public var myArray: Array<Int> {
		_lock.lock()
		defer { _lock.unlock() }
		return _myArray
	}

	public func doSomethingThatMutatesArray() {
		_lock.lock()
		_myArray.append(1)
		_lock.unlock()

Arrays are implemented as structs in Swift. This is a value type, but because Array<T> implements copy-on-write, there is an issue if you do something like this from multiple threads:

let myClass = MyClass()

func callFromMultipleThreads() {
	let arrayCopy = myClass.myArray
	arrayCopy.append(2) // race condition here
}

This is quite problematic, because the user of MyClass shouldn’t have to worry about side-effects when using a copy of the value from myArray.