[swift-users] Modulo operation in Swift?

Martin R martinr448 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 06:51:04 CST 2017

There was a discussion in swift-evolution, starting at

  https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160516/018521.html

about adding a "true modulo" operator to the standard library. There were different opinions whether

- such a thing needs to be in the standard library at all, and if yes:
- if it should be an operator or function,
- how it should be named.

As far as I know, nothing happened until now. The above posting contains a possible (Swift 3) implementation. In Swift 4 that would be

    infix operator %%: MultiplicationPrecedence

    func %%<T: BinaryInteger>(lhs: T, rhs: T) -> T {
        return (lhs % rhs + rhs) % rhs
    }

I would probably do (as an operator or as a function)

    func %%<T: BinaryInteger>(lhs: T, rhs: T) -> T {
        let rem = lhs % rhs // -rhs <= rem <= rhs
        return rem >= 0 ? rem : rem + rhs
    }

with one division instead of two.

Regards, Martin