[swift-users] dealing with heterogenous lists/dictionary with Codable

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Thu Oct 19 14:57:51 CDT 2017

> On Oct 19, 2017, at 12:50 PM, David Baraff via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Yes; this is a case where anywhere in the code base I want to just say
> 	struct MyNewType : Codable {
> 		// add codable datatypes
> 	}
>
> and don’t want/can’t always go to the centralized place to add it in.
> Is there some extension-like trick I can pull off that lets me spread the implementation out over different files/libraries?

Ah, ok.

No, I don't think you'll be able to do that until/unless Swift gets more macro/metaprogramming features. Maybe if protocols ever get to conform to themselves? That's a common request, but implementing it is apparently beyond tricky. I'm pretty sure somebody's working on it, but "bigger fish" and all that...

- Dave Sweeris