[swift-users] Why does the withUnsafeMutableBufferPointer closure take an inout parameter?

Martin R martinr448 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 02:50:21 CDT 2017

Thank you Howard for you response! However, I have a follow-up question:

Why are UnsafeMutableBufferPointer methods which modify not the buffer pointer itself, but only the pointed-to memory, mutating at all?

UnsafeMutable(Buffer)Pointer already have non-mutating subscript setters, which means that I can modify the pointed-to memory even if the buffer pointer itself is a constant. For example, this compiles and runs without problems:

    func foo(bufptr: UnsafeMutableBufferPointer<Int>) {
        let tmp = bufptr[0]
        bufptr[0] = bufptr[1]
        bufptr[1] = tmp
    }

    var a = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
    a.withUnsafeMutableBufferPointer { foo(bufptr: $0) }

Doing the same with swapAt() does not compile:

    func bar(bufptr: UnsafeMutableBufferPointer<Int>) {
        bufptr.swapAt(0, 1)
        // error: cannot use mutating member on immutable value: 'bufptr' is a 'let' constant
    }

which means that I have to use a variable copy:

    func bar(bufptr: UnsafeMutableBufferPointer<Int>) {
        var bufptr = bufptr
        bufptr.swapAt(0, 1)
    }

So my "feeling" is that methods (like swapAt) which modify the pointed-to memory of an UnsafeMutableBufferPointer should be non-mutating.

That would then also allow (coming back to my original question) that withUnsafeMutableBufferPointer() passes a _constant_ buffer pointer to the closure, and _might_ make the check at

   https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/stdlib/public/core/Arrays.swift.gyb#L1750

obsolete (which verifies that the closure did not modify the pointer or length).

I am probably overlooking something, so please let me know where I am wrong!

Regards, Martin