[swift-users] Detect if a generic type is numeric

davelist at mac.com davelist at mac.com
Sun Oct 1 15:43:34 CDT 2017

> On Oct 1, 2017, at 2:32 PM, Glenn L. Austin <glenn at austinsoft.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 1, 2017, at 8:56 AM, Dave Reed via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Sep 21, 2017, at 3:58 PM, V T via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there!
>>>
>>> Is there a best way to check if a given type conforms to numeric protocol (Integer or FP) at runtime?
>>>
>>> func checkNumeric<T>(_ value: T) {
>>> 	/* return true if vaiue is Integer or FP */
>>> 	/* this will not compile: */
>>> 	if value is Numeric {
>>>
>>> 	}
>>> }
>>>
>>> Best regards!
>>>
>>> VT
>>>

>> I think the way to do it is to try casting as the type, but you can't use "as? Numeric" as you get:
>>
>> error: protocol 'Numeric' can only be used as a generic constraint because it has Self or associated type requirements
>>
>> but you could check for each specific numeric type such as:
>>
>> func checkNumeric<T>(_ value: T) {
>>    if (value as? Int != nil) || (value as? Float != nil) {
>>        print("numeric")
>>    } else {
>>        print("not numeric")
>>    }
>> }
>>
>> checkNumeric(3)
>> checkNumeric(3.0)
>> checkNumeric("3")
>
> You can also use the 'is' operator, as in 'value is Int || value is Float || value is Double'
>
> --
> Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard, AustinSoft.com

Ah, I had forgotten "is" works in Swift

Just be careful as:

func checkNumeric<T>(_ value: T) {
    if (value is Int) || (value is Float) {
        print("numeric")
    } else {
        print("not numeric")

checkNumeric(3)
checkNumeric(3.0)
checkNumeric("3")

outputs:

numeric
not numeric
not numeric

Since the literal 3.0 is a Double so you'd have to catch every floating point type (including CGFloat, I suspect etc.) vs. just trying to cast to a Float (although I guess casting to a Float could have unexpected results also if someone made an extension that allows a type to be cast as a Float).

Dave