[swift-users] Problem with Access Control and Extensions

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed Sep 20 15:13:15 CDT 2017

I don’t get your problem here. If you don’t want to debate the correctness of your code, why are you asking for help or even showing error messages for a code snippet that cannot work?

1. Drop the access modifier from the extension itself, because this is only for convenience, which may or may not rule over the members of the extension members. If you’re already explicitly setting the access modifier on the extension members then the convenience access modifier makes no sense.
2. The code cannot work, because you cannot override `viewDidLoad` on a class that you don’t own, on a subclass of `UISplitViewController` that would be possible.

```
class MySplitViewController : UISplitViewController {}

extension MySplitViewController {
	override open func viewDidLoad() {
		super.viewDidLoad()
		/* ... */