[swift-users] "Unavailable instance method... used to satisfy a requirement of protocol"

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Fri Sep 15 16:03:08 CDT 2017

Hi, James. The trick here is that the name you’ll get in Swift for these methods is probably 'compareQuery(_:toQuery:)', because the Swift compiler detects that the “result” is redundant with the type name. In Xcode 8 the compiler didn’t check if you were using the “old" name to satisfy a protocol, but Xcode 9 now does (for unrelated reasons).

Since this is a source-breaking change, can you file an issue at https://bugs.swift.org <https://bugs.swift.org/> ? At the very least we should make the diagnostic better.

You can always tell the Swift compiler you know better by using the NS_SWIFT_NAME annotation to provide an alternate name, using Swift function name syntax.

Jordan