[swift-users] Is it possible to install Swift 4 on El Capitan with Xcode 8?

Mr Bee pak.lebah at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 23:42:27 CDT 2017

>:

> Unfortunately this will only work for pure Swift apps; the support
> libraries for Foundation, UIKit, etc are built against the Xcode 9 SDKs and
> will not work with Xcode 8. I'm afraid you're stuck with Swift 3 if you
> want to make Cocoa or Cocoa Touch apps, at least officially.

That's very unfortunate indeed. I'm just starting to write a book about
Swift and programming on Apple platforms (not just iOS) since a few weeks
ago, I think it'd be better if I use Swift 4 and XCode 9 as the reference
for the book since it's the newest version with a bunch of new features,
instead of using the about-to-get-old Swift 3 and XCode 8.

Well, I think I need to postpone the book until I got a new Mac (which is
uncertain). Actually, I plan to buy a new Mac from the sale of the book.
So, obviously I need a new strategy. :)

Thank you.

--

Regards,