[swift-users] Is it possible to install Swift 4 on El Capitan with Xcode 8?

Fritz Anderson fritza at manoverboard.org
Mon Sep 4 15:46:58 CDT 2017

On 2-Sep-2017, at 5:04 AM, Mr Bee via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:

> Since I'm still using my old mid-2009 Macbook Pro, which is still working very well by the way, I'm stucked with macOS El Capitan (10.11.6) with Xcode 8 and Swift 3. Hence, I also couldn't install Xcode 9 and Swift 4 because they required at least macOS Sierra (10.12).
>
> So, is there any other way to install Swift 4 manually and make it working with Xcode 8 that I got on my Mac? I know I'll miss some IDE features of Xcode 9 but it's alright as long as I can use Swift 4 with old SDKs.
>
> Any hints? Thank you.

In your position, I’d go to the Downloads part of Swift.org <http://swift.org/> and fetch the latest build of the Swift 4 toolchain for Mac. (It’s still in flux, but it’ll probably be promoted to latest/stable this month.)

Install the toolchain. This adds a Toolchains tab to the Components section of the Preferences window. Select Swift 4.0 Snapshot.

That should do for you, but I don’t have exactly your hardware and OS. When you say you “couldn’t install Xcode 9 and Swift 4,” you may mean that you couldn’t install Swift 4 even separately.

	— F