[swift-users] Question with calling a method which returns `Self` on super

Joanna Carter joanna at carterconsulting.org.uk
Fri Aug 11 05:46:48 CDT 2017

> here is the scenario, I want to implement a Copying protocol which can be used homogeneously
>
> protocol Copying {
>     func copy() -> Self
> }
>
> Because this protocol contains neither associated-type-requirements or self-requirements(requiring a method returning Self is different), it can surely be used homogeneously.
>
> let objects: [Copying] = ....
> for copyable in objects {

But Copying does contain a Self requirement. It is used the result of the copy() method

Here is how I implement Copying :

protocol Copyable
{
  func copy() -> Self

  init(other: Self)
}

// This extension provides a default implementation
extension Copyable
{
  func copy() -> Self
  {
    return type(of: self).init(other: self)

implementing Copyable on a struct is simple :

struct Struct : Copyable
{
  var value: String

  init(value: String)
  {
    self.value = value
  }

  init(other: Struct)
  {
    value = other.value

But implementing it on a class is slightly more troublesome.

class Shape : Copyable
{
  var color: NSColor

  init(color: NSColor)
  {
    self.color = color

At this stage, the compiler (obviously) screams that Copyable is not implemented but the first "error" it notices it marks as being on the default implementation in the extension:  Method 'copy()' in non-final class 'Shape' must return `Self` to conform to protocol 'Copyable'

Marking this error on the extension method, which obviously does exactly what the error says is missing ???

Implementing the copy() method in Shape kills this error message but leaves me wondering why I have to now repeat the exact same code in the implementing method that I wrote in the default method in the protocol extension ; something that the compiler is completely ignoring.

Implementing the protocol with a struct takes account of the default method but with a class ignores it. This smells remarkably like a bug !

Nonetheless, I now end up with the following code, complete with duplicate copy() method :

class Shape : Copyable
{
  var color: NSColor

  func copy() -> Self
  {
    return type(of: self).init(other: self)
  }

  init(color: NSColor)
  {
    self.color = color
  }

  required init(other: Shape)
  {
    color = other.color

Then I can go on to declare subclasses :

class Circle : Shape
{
  var radius: Double = 0.0

  init(color: NSColor, radius: Double)
  {
    super.init(color: color)

    self.radius = radius
  }

  required init(other: Shape)
  {
    super.init(other: other)

    if let other = other as? Circle
    {
      radius = other.radius

class Square : Shape
{
  var side: Double = 0.0

  init(color: NSColor, side: Double)
  {
    super.init(color: color)

    self.side = side
  }

  required init(other: Shape)
  {
    super.init(other: other)

    if let other = other as? Square
    {
      side = other.side

And, the, if I create an extension to Array :

extension Array where Element : Copyable
{
  func copy() -> Array<Element>
  {
    var result = [Element]()

    self.forEach { result.append($0.copy()) }

    return result

I can then use the following code to create an array of Shapes but, obviously not of Copyable, due to its restrictions on the Self requirements on the protocol.

{
  let shapes = [Circle(color: .black, radius: 5.0), Square(color: .black, side: 5.0)]

  let copies = shapes.copy()

  …
}

Thus, another possible solution to your problem is to declare the required init(other: Self) in the protocol.

Which still leaves my question of why I have to reimplement the default copy(other:) method from the protocol's extension in the base class ???

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter
Carter Consulting